Immersion

Модератор: Владимир

Михаил Дойл
Практически член семьи

Сообщение Михаил Дойл »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):...she told me to listen to the radio regularly and hard.
Do you have a TV? It's more interesting for me look to the "Discovery Channel". What do mean that "listening hard"? Is it something like a "working hard"?
Сергей Кевлар

Сообщение Сергей Кевлар »

Dear N.F.
Both you and I know the answer for your rhetorical question. I have no strong wish to explain obvious things.
When I used the term “hard” I meant hard. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD
I should say to you that studying in this school is very interesting and difficult business. Day after day I can understand a simple thing – the more I learn the less I know. Now I have seen clearly the way I have to have gone before to say – I get it…
Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):Both you and I know the answer for your rhetorical question.
Of course, we do, Sergey. But I wasn't sure about your teacher. Anyhow, how many hours a day do you spend in the classroom? Speaking of the classroom, try to spend as much as possible of your classroom time talking to your instructors instead of doing your written assignments. You can write in Russia or anywhere. More productive will be to speak with your instructors while you still can. Writing in the classroom will be a waste.
Последний раз редактировалось Н.Ф. 17 авг 2009, 16:16, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Сергей Кевлар

I do understand you. I’ve paid this school a lot of money for a training and I don’t want to lose it doing exercises only.
I have 20 lessons a week. We keep speaking almost all lesson, she corrects my mistakes and does notes about them. The next lesson she gives me exercises contains the rules that I break before. Them she checks my work and explains the rules to me again if I don’t get it. She prohibits me from using an English – Russian vocabulary and demands to use a pen to do the exercises also. “She tells me about muscles memory and that it helps me to remember the rules the better.”
I should say the school does its job honestly. I can say this statement because I have seen students both the beginners and the graduate and compare their knowledge.
Today is Saturday. I returned to my home stay from long journey to Niagara waterfall and got tired a lot. So, this letter wasn’t checked by my teacher and had mistakes. Sorry….
Сергей Кевлар

The photos of Toronto are here. I put another ones later. http://foto.mail.ru/mail/kevlar-bsb/188
Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):I can understand a simple thing – the more I learn the less I know. Now I have seen clearly the way I have to have gone before to say – I get it…
Looks like you're beginning to understand what I meant when I wrote about the upcoming difficulties. You've just passed through another door, my friend...
Сергей Кевлар

To have read the book isn’t the same to understand it.
What you have created and we are supporting the forum for? You wrote the book, didn’t you? It has the answers to all questions. But why do we see the same questions asking by new pupil every day?
I think because of the aforesaid.
I believe the nest steps on the way of cognition show another problems and I’ll get “flash of inspiration” many times.
Probably the basic knowledge is constant but it perception keeps changing continuously.
A little philosophy was written by me because of my mood….
Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):Reading the book isn’t the same as understanding it.
You've touched the red hot stove with your little innocent finger and, all of a sudden, the empty word "hot" is filled with a meaning. The Matrix dialogs seem very simple now, don't they?
Михаил Дойл
Практически член семьи

Сообщение Михаил Дойл »

I hope that everything will be fine finally. The book is a general guide only, and quite good guide, but your way is concrete.
Сергей Кевлар

When I started my Spanish matrix it didn’t seem very simple though. Comparison give the realization.
I am getting tired of studying. And oppressive heat annoied me. Tomorrow the forecast promises a rain – it will be better.
Keep speaking during the day is a hard job – I can’t imagine I am a teacher!
Today I have known a new phrase – fossilizes mistakes – I do them regularly. I mix up She with He, often forget about –s and sometimes use present instead of past. The teacher gave two advices to me. First - to control my talk, fix a mistake and correct it immediately. Second – speak aloud the sentences with these words. I’ll try…
Михаил Дойл
Практически член семьи

Сообщение Михаил Дойл »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):
Any effort gets tried - it is normal and human's possibilities are limited unfortunately. Everybody makes mistakes - it is normal too. My American collegue said "your mouth is faster then you head", so "control your talk" is a good advaice for everybody, but it is not so easy when you are tried. About immediate corrections, my collegues prevent me to do that, in real talking. They say "I've understood you enough". The best way to learn speak is speaking. And I use any opportunity for that. Our conversation is an example of that.
Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):...fix a mistake and correct it immediately.
Never correct your mistakes in real time, Sergey. I mean, when actually speaking with someone, don't go back and say a phrase correctly, disrupting the conversation in doing so, if you realized that you said that phrase incorrectly the first time. Make a mental note of your mistake for the future and no more. Correcting your mistakes publicly makes a very bad impression on people. When you speak outside the classroom, your goal is not correcting your mistakes in front of everybody but making yourself understood. Keep the actual mechanics of learning from the people who are not interested in it in the least and don’t appreciate it at all. You don’t extract and proudly show around the contents of your nose, however interesting and important they may seem to you...
Сергей Кевлар

Н.Ф. писал(а):Never correct your mistakes in real time, Sergey. I mean, when actually speaking with someone, don't go back and say a phrase correctly, disrupting the conversation in doing so, if you realized that you said that phrase incorrectly the first time. Make a mental note of your mistake for the future and no more. Correcting your mistakes publicly makes a very bad impression on people. When you speak outside the classroom, your goal is not correcting your mistakes in front of everybody but making yourself understood. Keep the actual mechanics of learning from the people who are not interested in it in the least and don’t appreciate it at all. You don’t extract and proudly show around the contents of your nose, however interesting and important they may seem to you...
Probably I understооd her incorrectly yesterday. May be she told me about lessons. I’ll ask her tomorrow.
As usual, nostalgia for homeland comes three weeks after arriving to a new destination. Canada is a good country but Russia is the best of all.
Сергей Кевлар

It is my last day in Toronto. After lunch I am going home by airplane. Yesterday I nave been in the Central Island and in the Zoo. It’s took me an hour and a half to reach the Zoo by subway and bus. This trip has shown me the great size of the city. One can never see the size of the city if one uses a subway. For example – on Tuesday I rode in streetcar along the lake an hour and I could travel across small part of the city Toronto. If Downtown you can walk across in hour easy then you can’t do this by the car. Big Toronto is great really. There are two million inhabitants in the city, but the most part of them live in their own houses, having one, two, seldom three floors. I believe Toronto and Moscow has the same size, but Moscow always depresses me by size, fuss and dirty air. Toronto is quieter and cleaner than Moscow, it is noticeable outside the core especially.
Сергей Кевлар

I’m home now. It’s good to guest, but to be at home better.
First, I tell you my Progress Assessment.
Speaking – 4 (Thanks matrix)
Listening – 3 (Need to listen moor)
Reading – 4 (I like this business)
Vocabulary – 3 (Need to work)
Writing – 2 (All skill need training)
The teacher said about my speaking that it’s good because of the matrix, but it was first step and she gave my some recommendation. All of them correspond with advices of N.F. As N.F. have said the good native teacher is very useful, especially the pro.
I should say the matrix method is the most appropriate one if it is compare to any another “the best methods in the world” by quality-price ratio.
If you have money you can learn English in good foreign schools quickly enough but having persistence you can reach the same goal with great time and little money. In any case I believe one has to start his learning from matrix.
I need some rest after journey and will continue tomorrow.
Ответить