Philosophical debates about languages

Модератор: Владимир

Ответить
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

Re: Philosophical debates about languages

Сообщение Дерзкий Серхио »

Well, as far as we're complaining here... On top of the heat I'm talking to MTS people for three days and three nights already. I want them to start working. They want me to stop bothering them with that bullshit. I believe I'm gonna win and make them work if I send enough letters to every department of every ministry of every crap possible. Although it's quite possible I'll get bored and quit this game sooner than I get a real chance to win. MTS reminds me a lot of the stories I've heard from Americans about ATA.

- Look who's talking, Blue Face! You know what your little horns remind me of?
- These are not horns! Come on, you don’t tell a guy he has horns. These are antennae.
Брэйв
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Брэйв »

Who's these MTS people?
Briefly about myself: I'm brave, handsome, clever, yeah, and almost forgot to mention ... humble!
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

Well, I ment МТС (Russian abbreviation).

- These are not horns! Come on, you don’t tell a guy he has horns. These are antennae.
А.М.
Черный Пояс

Сообщение А.М. »

Once upon a time I had to listen to a series of lectures in English. It was when I already was able to understand spoken English. Not so well, but… Actually, some of the first lectures I understood all right. But then it happened…
The next lecture was supposed to be read by a woman from France. To say I was surprised when the lecture started is to say nothing. At first it seemed to me the woman spoke in French. And my first thought was: “What the hell are the organizers doing? Why didn't they say about this French lecture?” Next thought was: “Ok. This woman speaks in French, but why in English words?” And finally I realized she just had a French accent. Just had… Her accent was not just an accent. It was a huge accent. As I said before, she spoke in French, but using English words. Лет ми спик фром май харт. Remember? I understood that I could understand nothing… Just for fun I began to repeat in my mind what she told. And you know, it helped. I began to understand. But it was too slow. In the end I was so tired and I thought: “The hell with it. Maybe the lecture is very interesting. But it's not worth so many efforts…”
The moral of this story? There is no moral in it at all. But if you want to be understood, you should not have such a heavy accent…
Брэйв
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Брэйв »

Еще один Сергей писал(а):Well, I ment МТС (Russian abbreviation).
Oh, now I see. I had to get it by myself, but this heat makes my brain lazy.
Briefly about myself: I'm brave, handsome, clever, yeah, and almost forgot to mention ... humble!
Брэйв
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Брэйв »

А.М. писал(а):Once upon a time I had to listen to a series of lectures in English. It was when I already was able to understand spoken English. Not so well, but… Actually, some of the first lectures I understood all right. But then it happened…
The next lecture was supposed to be read by a woman from France. To say I was surprised when the lecture started is to say nothing. At first it seemed to me the woman spoke in French. And my first thought was: “What the hell are the organizers doing? Why didn't they say about this French lecture?” Next thought was: “Ok. This woman speaks in French, but why in English words?” And finally I realized she just had a French accent. Just had… Her accent was not just an accent. It was a huge accent. As I said before, she spoke in French, but using English words. Лет ми спик фром май харт. Remember? I understood that I could understand nothing… Just for fun I began to repeat in my mind what she told. And you know, it helped. I began to understand. But it was too slow. In the end I was so tired and I thought: “The hell with it. Maybe the lecture is very interesting. But it's not worth so many efforts…”
The moral of this story? There is no moral in it at all. But if you want to be understood, you should not have such a heavy accent…
In my humble opinion the moral of this story that if you want to understand horrible French pronunciation you must be a Frenchman as well.
А.М.
Черный Пояс

Сообщение А.М. »

There’s been a heated discussion on the forum lately. About learning language of course… Unfortunately, I was far from good internet during that time, I could read but couldn't write. But that discussion touched me.

I mean the one about that guy who could write in English, but couldn’t speak. It seemed so familiar to me. That guy was very afraid this method is like all other “great” methods. When all you need is to buy course and language will come to you by itself. How many ads about this stuff is in the internet. And how many emotional comments. Kind of – I bought this one and Wow! I know the language now… (Huh... Almost a motto for that kind of courses...)

But then I recognized that feeling.

I felt something like that after countless trying different methods… Many of them were popular and highly recommended everywhere. And of course, each one of them turned out to be a fraud.
But then it happened. I found an article about some methods that were claimed to be really helping. “Nah, there you go, again and again and one more time” – that was my first thought. But then I decided to take a closer look at first. I read about the methods, then I read the books describing those methods and then I read forums on this topic. And finally, I chose one method – one the most understandable, clear and easy to follow. Guess which one...

There is a Russian saying about it: “Обжегшись на молоке, на воду дуешь.”

Sure you can “falsify” couple of comments, maybe even couple of dozens. But you really cannot "falsify" the people who wrote them. And not only they left comments about methods. They wrote answers some questions, expressed their opinion, gave tips and so one. They are so different. I mean answers and tips. And people too.

I dare say to that guy - Just try it. A couple of weeks will be enough to understand if it is “your” method or not. It is not a big waste of time. It’s worth it.
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

А.М. писал(а):There is a Russian saying about it: “Обжегшись на молоке, на воду дуешь.”
You know, it seems to me this saying is obsolete now. First, I haven't heard these words for years. Second, it looks like people are unfamiliar with them. I'm not talking only about language courses. It's just that I look around me and there are people everywhere who are not afraid of anything. You know, like they never tried hot milk. In Russian I call them "непуганые идиоты". Tried to call them 'unfrightened idiots' in English, but that, of course, is not an English expression.

Now if you're trying to get my point and understand how the previous paragraph is related to the topic... Well, I'm sorry. Like Dr. Cooper once said 'There's no point. I just thought it's a good idea for a T-shirt.'

А.М.
Черный Пояс

Сообщение А.М. »

It seems to me I know what you mean. You know, maybe it depends on age, maybe even on generation. At least I meet that kind of people among young people more often.
Брэйв
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Брэйв »

I can see a lot of scammers on the streets who are cheating people the same way year by year. And many times we could see tv programs, paper articles etc., where we could learn all about these stuff. But people on the streets don’t stop believe in miracles: Yeah, I know that a bunch of people lost their money when they did it, but I’m special! А вы, говорите, молоко, дуть…
А.М.
Черный Пояс

Сообщение А.М. »

You know, it seems to me "I'm special!" is not only about the case you wrote about. It is a cornerstone of gambling. Gambling of any kind...
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

My kettle died today. Stainless steel. Made in England twenty years ago. Twenty years of service. Rough service. I've burned him no less than twenty times. I'm a gamer, so I burn kettles. That kinda comes with the territory. He looked all that bright and shiny at first, like nowadays Chineese kettles. Then he lost his knob on the lid. It was made of plastic and got melted when I burned him the third time.

He didn't look pretty for the last several years, but I didn't notice that. He never looked ugly to me. I thought of him as of a seasoned veteran covered with scars and burns. Strangely enough people kept asking me 'What the hell is that? Is it a... kettle? Why don't you buy a new one? You know, there are electic kettles out there! Why are you using 'that'?'

Well, you can't talk to electric kettle! What would I talk about with an electric kettle, huh? 'Do you... talk to kettles?..' No, not 'to kettles', I'm not crazy! Only to this one... Well, he starts first!

- The water is ready! It's boiling! Hello? Anybody? It's booooiiiilllliiiing!!! Anybody cares to turn off the fire?! Boooil - liiiing!
- I hear you! Just a moment!
- What are you, crazy?! It's boiling inside me! Turn it off! Tuuuurn! It! Ooooff!
- I'm coming!
- Tuuurniiiitoooff!!!
- Shut up!
- Move! Move! Move! What are you sleeping over there?! I said it's boooiliiiing!!!
- I'm coming! I'm coming! I can't just drop everything and run to the kitchen. You're a kettle. Act like one!.. Here you are. Happy now?
- Well, I'm not unhappy...

Now you see what I mean when I say there is nothing to talk about with electic kettles. They just turn themselves off automatically and have nothing to say to you.

I need a new kettle now. But they all made of soo thin metall... They're like weightless. Mine was heavy and... it was mine. I don't know those kettles in stores. They're like aliens to me. What if we're not compatible? I'm gonna promote a small boiling pan to acting kettle for the time being.

Anyway, rest in peace, my... Well, I never gave you a name. I guess I'm crazy enough to talk to a kettle, but sane enough to not give it a name. Rest in peace, my nameless friend. You did good. You did good...

Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

I brought mine from the US. It's made out of copper and much, much older than me.
А.М.
Черный Пояс

Сообщение А.М. »

Sergie, do you think that your speaking with kettle maybe one of reasons why your kettle served you during long-long time? Just kidding...
Huh, the old things are the best ones! Not kidding...
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

Oh, I wouldn' t mind a copper one without plastic parts. Didn't find them so far. I saw a copper coffee pot today. One litre, $10. That's one hell of a weird kettle. Kinda thought I can use it as a kettle for now, but then decided it's way too small. Besides, how am I gonna talk to Sima if I bought something for only $10?

A.M., I think that kettle could have served at least twice as longer if it served someone who is not me.

Ответить