Philosophical debates about languages

Модератор: Владимир

Ответить
Кая З
Практически член семьи

Сообщение Кая З »

To Пушистая няшечка. Wow, that is the amazing posts you've been writing. I'm sorry that I cannot use such beautiful writing style as you have. And you've mentioned about lack of vocabulary, oh my gush, what's about me. When I read your posts I sometimes feel mental disability. You've compared yourself with Matthew but I think he is the native person. I can understand him well but, for me of course, he has the sophisticated writing style. It be easy to say him using the analogies more simple.
Пушистая няшечка2
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Пушистая няшечка2 »

Кая З писал(а):To Пушистая няшечка. Wow, that is the amazing posts you've been writing. I'm sorry that I cannot use such beautiful writing style as you have. And you've mentioned about lack of vocabulary, oh my gush, what's about me. When I read your posts I sometimes feel mental disability.
Thank you :oops: Frankly speaking, I don't see such a big difference between your vocabulary and mine. Your constructions are pretty good and if you practice you can easily "beat" me in little time. Twelve books vs. my five... and a good matrix basis vs. my poor talking)) I'm the one who should envy you, my friend :wink:
Кая З писал(а):You've compared yourself with Matthew but I think he is the native person. I can understand him well but, for me of course, he has the sophisticated writing style. It be easy to say him using the analogies more simple.
As Matthew is an English teacher, I think he'll understand your request to write more simply. But you can't ask the authors of your books about the same...
Пушистая няшечка2
Черный Пояс

One time I read an opinion about expressing yourself in foreign language. "Never use colloquial words when speaking in foreign language. As you're not a native speaker, you won't be able to use them properly and all your attempts to sound free and easy will result in sounding silly. Just try to make yourself understood and be glad if they understand you".

Do you believe this statement? It's very interesting to discuss.

In my opinion, it contains a bit of truth, but only a bit. If you are a beginner and know very little about the language, using common neutral words when communicating will be surely a proper decision. But if you already speak in advanced level and communicate to natives during 1,2,3 years... won't you develop kind of sixth sense, where and how informal words are used? I can hardly imagine that. You already have such sense, concerning your first language. And foreign language is just another language.

As a good example I can mention here one Cuban man, who lives in Russia for many years (he moved here when Russia was still called USSR). I met him at one forum devoted to learning Spanish, and couldn't believe that he's Cuban - his Russian was so natural, colloquial, and he used words like "нифига" in the place they should be. :D He also admitted that he got used to Russian so much that he thinks in Russian and reads in Russian more willingly)). The only thing he prefers to do in Spanish is counting.
Сергей Кевлар

Сообщение Сергей Кевлар »

So, I got home after my ten days journey to SPB and Moscow. It was interesting and I had no time to write here but I saw many interesting acts, places and so on. It is enough to say I was in the Hermitage Museum, the Tretyakov Gallery and the greatest temples of these cities. I believe St. Petersburg was, is and will be the more beautiful city in the country and one has to see it before die. I plan to see Paris soon and will be able to compare the city, but I'll not change my mind about SPB anyway.
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Дерзкий Серхио »

Сергей Кевлар писал(а):One thing surprised me repeatedly. They are studying English and they have a problem or a question. Put it on the forum in English and get a answer or a advice in English too.
Here's my questions:

1. The instant Archer was out of earshot, Tucker said, “I think I’m gonna need something to help me sleep tonight, Doc.”

I can't feel the difference between "I think I'm gonna need something to help me sleep tonight, Doc" and "I think I need something to help me sleep tonight, Doc". Would You explain me this gonna thing, please? I guess this whole gonna thing is a very long story, so I would appreciate a link to explanation.

2. Is it polite to ask people "Would You do something, please?" (would You explain me, would You stop it, would You tell me, etc.)

- Look who's talking, Blue Face! You know what your little horns remind me of?
- These are not horns! Come on, you don’t tell a guy he has horns. These are antennae.
Сергей Кевлар

Еще один Сергей писал(а):1. The instant Archer was out of earshot, Tucker said, “I think I’m gonna need something to help me sleep tonight, Doc.”

I can't feel the difference between "I think I'm gonna need something to help me sleep tonight, Doc" and "I think I need something to help me sleep tonight, Doc". Would You explain me this gonna thing, please? I guess this whole gonna thing is a very long story, so I would appreciate a link to explanation.

2. Is it polite to ask people "Would You do something, please?" (would You explain me, would You stop it, would You tell me, etc.)
1.http://www.efl.ru/forum/threads/35653/
2.http://www.study.ru/lessons/preintermediate5-3.html
Дерзкий Серхио
Черный Пояс

Сообщение Дерзкий Серхио »

Thank you for your help, Sergey!

- Look who's talking, Blue Face! You know what your little horns remind me of?
- These are not horns! Come on, you don’t tell a guy he has horns. These are antennae.
Сергей Кевлар

I’ve caught a thought today – I don’t like to read Russian text longer than one paragraph and to see Russian films anymore. The English ones don’t annoy my so much; on the contrary, I should say that sometimes the processes take me completely, especially reading one.
To my great chagrin, I can’t enjoy with listening or watching films lime reading because of my little skills or lack of knowledge speaking language.
A little time ago I was watching a film “Vicki. Kristina. Barcelona.” and got a half of texts. When I turned on Russian interpreter I lost an interest to see this simple story, it was like a small baby got a pap from mother and the only thing that he had to do just to swallow it.
Пушистая няшечка2
Черный Пояс

Okay, Sergey...if Russian annoys you, all the better, don't touch it at all, you're studying, aren't you? Try this movie once more - with original subtitles. It's always much fun and many discoveries, when I do it. As for me, I have to make some efforts every day, in order not to fall into so warm and comfortable embrace of the native language...
Сергей Кевлар

You are quite right saying about snug and comfortable embrace of the Russian. So, I want and try to escape from it into books and movies, but we are living in Russian environment all day long and it is hard to.
I tried to listen English radio in my car during a movement without any success because of a noise and the torn rhythm of the traffic and broke off these attempts. Only home let me be absorbed into language ….
Аска
На огонёк зашедши

Сообщение Аска »

Dear forum members,

I don't want to sound off-topic. But I really need your advice in solving my language problems.Having graduated from the University of Languages where my major was English, I can hardly speak it :-). It does sound strange, but that is the fact. About two days ago I read the book of Nikolay Zamyatkin which appealed to me, to say the least. However, a plenty of questions have been arisen in me regarding the matrix method.The questions are:
1. Is it applicable for the people with solid language knowledge (I may speak badly, but I have enough vocabulary) and is there any reason to read simultaneaoulsy the text while hearing, since I think reading could be a barrier for perceiving what you hear (please correct me, if I am wrong);
2. If I am not mistaken, it is advised by the author to repeat what it is said in dialogues. How does it work -I mean should we do it after the end of every sentence of simultaneaously and loudly with the speakers?
3. How come that every 40-50 seconds long dialogue takes 3 hours a day? I seems to me a bit impossibe, as I reckon that it is rather a long time not to speak about those who have already some language skills...Do I need also spend 3 hours a day only for matrix?
4. Is it allowed to watch news, films as well as READ while being engaged in this matrix method? Or these should come after the matrix?If you ask me, I suppose that reading is very important (of course, if you can it and if you can afford it with your vocabulary) for expanding your stock of words...
I would be very grateful if you could answer my questions in details. May be the author himself could also do that...
Thank you.
Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

Аска писал(а):Dear forum members,

I don't want to sound off-topic. But I really need your advice in solving my language problems.Having graduated from the University of Languages where my major was English, I can hardly speak it :-). It does sound strange, but that is the fact. About two days ago I read the book of Nikolay Zamyatkin which appealed to me, to say the least. However, a plenty of questions have been arisen in me regarding the matrix method.The questions are:
1. Is it applicable for the people with solid language knowledge (I may speak badly, but I have enough vocabulary) and is there any reason to read simultaneaoulsy the text while hearing, since I think reading could be a barrier for perceiving what you hear (please correct me, if I am wrong);
2. If I am not mistaken, it is advised by the author to repeat what it is said in dialogues. How does it work -I mean should we do it after the end of every sentence of simultaneaously and loudly with the speakers?
3. How come that every 40-50 seconds long dialogue takes 3 hours a day? I seems to me a bit impossibe, as I reckon that it is rather a long time not to speak about those who have already some language skills...Do I need also spend 3 hours a day only for matrix?
4. Is it allowed to watch news, films as well as READ while being engaged in this matrix method? Or these should come after the matrix?If you ask me, I suppose that reading is very important (of course, if you can it and if you can afford it with your vocabulary) for expanding your stock of words...
I would be very grateful if you could answer my questions in details. May be the author himself could also do that...
Thank you.
I'm not sure what your exact situation is, my friend. Anyhow, it looks like you have not read the book. If you ask these questions, you have not. And apart from the book, there is the Forum which is full of questions and answers. Read them - satisfaction garanteed or your money back...
Аска
На огонёк зашедши

Сообщение Аска »

Н.Ф. писал(а):
Аска писал(а):Dear forum members,

Thank you.
I'm not sure what your exact situation is, my friend. Anyhow, it looks like you have not read the book. If you ask these questions, you have not. And apart from the book, there is the Forum which is full of questions and answers. Read them - satisfaction garanteed or your money back...
Dear author, with my questions I was not going to doubt the miracles of this method-quite of the contrary I just wanted to have the best idea of it with asking the above-mentioned questions. As far as the satisfaction and returning of money are concerned I am not going to pay money to get the matrix just after a couple of the days I knew on that :) . That would not be reasonable to do after not knowing everything in detail... the fact that not all the readers of that book and users of the forum are not native Russian speakers should also be taken into consideration. Some misunderstandings might come from that, too.... Anyway, I would be grateful if any user of the matrix could answer question 3 at least. Thanks.
Н.Ф.
Учитель

Сообщение Н.Ф. »

Right. I'd say let's not worry too much about other readers of the book who may or may not be confused about this point or that point that I make. I suggest that you, my friend, should worry about yourself and therefore ask your questions in Russian. I think that writing in Russian you'll find some people inclined to talk to you. If you ask nicely and don't show your sarcasm too much from the get-go, that is. Now be good and stay out of trouble.
Скиталец II
Весьма заинтересованное лицо

Сообщение Скиталец II »

It sounds interesting as for me. I almost always recognize Russian speaking members in international forums which I've been using since i had bought my computer.
I called it the Russian style. I don't say it's bad or good, just I'm finding it's funny.
Some my favorite links below.
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/forums/
Sorry for my poor English.
Ответить